Gardiner Government Party Platforms
By The Gazette Editorial Committee
From Issue 44: Fall 2019
The 2019 Republican Party Platform
This year the Republican Party chose not to nominate candidates at the local level or to provide The Gazette with a party platform. For further information, please see 2019 Brings Unusual Election.
The 2019 Democratic Party Platform
MAINTAIN AND IMPROVE THE TOWN
- Invest wisely in the town’s infrastructure, including roads, bridges, sidewalks, public spaces and buildings such as the Clove Road Bridge and the pole barn in Majestic Park.
- Improve Gardiner’s recreational facilities and programs including Majestic Park and Rail Trail maintenance, upgrades and improvements.
- Collaborate with local organizations to improve the avail-ability of housing and community resources for seniors.
- Preserve and protect drinking water and wetlands including the aquifer.
- Ensure the long-term viability of the town’s sewer system.
- Support the library as the town’s social and cultural center.
- Improve the appearance of the town and public spaces to attract public events that bring revenue to Gardiner.
- Address speeding on Gardiner’s roads, noise control, abandoned buildings and littering.
CONTINUE TO EXERCISE FINANCIAL DISCIPLINE
- Develop responsible budgets based on community needs.
- Limit the tax burden on Gardiner property owners.
- Employ expert resources to secure grants and donations to help fund important programs.
- Encourage business development in the Hamlet and in the industrial park to increase the revenue base by establishing an Economic Development Committee.
PRESERVE GARDINER’S RURAL CHARACTER AND OPEN SPACE
- Preserve the small-town nature of Gardiner.
- Update zoning code to be consistent with the 2004 Master Plan.
- Advance Gardiner’s Open Space Plan.
- Support established policies that protect the Shawangunk Ridge as a natural and community resource.
- Respect sensitive ecological systems and seek Bronze Certification from the NYS DEC in collaboration with Climate Smart Gardiner. Improve Gardiner’s resiliency in the face of climate change.
- Support efforts to reduce the government and community’s carbon footprint, while reducing town expenditures. Attract users of electric vehicles to come to Gardiner.
- Support Community Choice Aggregation, seek green sources of electricity, and seek other ways to reduce Gardiner’s carbon footprint.
CONTINUE AND ENHANCE EFFICIENT, GOOD GOVERNMENT
- Continue to ensure open, inclusive government by encouraging participation by all members of the Gardiner community in town meetings and activities.
- Encourage the community to serve on town organizations, including the Town Board, the Planning Board, the ZBA, the ECC, and the Open Space Commission.
- Promote greater balance on the Planning Board between development and conservation interests and diversity of viewpoints.
- Encourage the development of Task Forces to address com-munity needs, such as Earth Day cleanup, littering, maintenance of community property, etc.
- Work more closely with the Library to build and strengthen community.
SUPPORT THE VALUES OF THE NATIONAL DEMOCRATIC PARTY, INCLUDING
- Actively oppose discrimination due to race, religion, national origin, disability, language, gender or gender identity, age, and sexual orientation.
- Show unwavering allegiance to women’s equality and reproductive rights.
- Demand fair and humane treatment for immigrants and those seeking asylum.
- Ensure access to Universal Health Care.
- Guarantee protection and financial support for Planned Parenthood.
- Demonstrate active opposition to racism and white supremacy.
- Address income inequality through a higher minimum wage and improved collective bargaining rights.
- Build a clean energy economy that ensures environmental justice and protects public lands and water.
- Prevent gun violence.